How to get into tech mentorship
Skills gap in tech
- There is an over-supply of junior level developers
- There is a shortage of mid and senior level developers
- AI is changing things - people need more skills to get their first job
- AI is a foot gun for people learning to code
How do we start to address this?
- Junior devs need more skills and connections
- Get kids to play with code
Benefits to the mentor... lots
- Harden your own knowledge
- Learn about new tools and techniques
- Level up your communication skills
- It's who you know...
- Build leverage in a team by levelling up team members
The only true measure of success is
The number of people you have helped
the effect of that help
- I don't have time...even a little goes a long way
- I don't know enough tech...help kids or noobs
- I don't know how to mentor or teach...we have training material
- I don't know if I'll like it...try it, what's the worst that could happen?